Saturday, December 6, 2014

Christmas Gifts I LOVE for Parents!

     If you teach preschool, then you are likely feeling the pressure weighing on you to find the perfect Christmas craft to gift to your kiddos' parents this year. Christmas is less than 3 weeks away, and these projects are never quick. It seems that no matter how early I get started, I always wind up awake all night the last night finishing up. With 30 kids on my class roll, I'm afraid this year won't be any different.
     But in case you are still at a complete loss for what to do, I compiled some of the crafts I have done before and added some adorable ones that I found on Pinterest (Thank God for Pinterest!).

1. Button Ornament Cards
     I made these cards with my kids a few years ago. We used a gold paint pin to draw the bows and write "Merry Christmas" on each card. Then, we picked some simple little buttons for the ornaments. My favorite part about this, was that we took a class Christmas photo, which was enclosed inside the card, and then mailed them each out, instead of handing them out as they picked up. The parents loved them, and the kids loved getting mail!
     If I had this to do all over again, there are a couple of things I would do differently. First of all, I'd have written "Merry Christmas" before I did anything else. I wound up having to squeeze the words in wherever they would fit, and I think it made some of them look sloppy. The major change I would make though, would be to pick some more interesting buttons. I found myself immediately wishing that I had bought buttons in different sizes- and maybe even different designs or shapes.

2. Fingerprint Candy Cane Card
     I haven't tried this one yet, but I think it is so simplistically cute! I have seen variations of it before that didn't particularly impress me, but I love this one on the green cardstock and with the adorable little bow.
     I think that the only thing I would change about this card is that I'd like to see something written on the front. Maybe just a simple "2014" in the bottom left? I so often see old gifts in the houses of my old students, hung up in frames. If this one were to make the beautiful walls of these homes, I'd like to see the year on it.

3. Handprint Santa Mason Jars
     I cannot say enough about how much I LOVE these mason jars! Mason jars are so trendy right now anyway, and these are just too cute. This is such a cute idea that parents could decorate with year after year.
     As much as I love this, I know that when I do this (most likely this year), mine will look entirely different. Firstly, I think the Santa face is a little lazy. Going to all this trouble and then adding 3 little black dots? I think we can do better. Then, I'd consider the colors of the jars. I think if you are going to decorate with mason jars, you have to think about what kind of style you are going for. Somehow, the bright colors look out of place to me. I think red, green, and blue can all be used, but maybe a duller version of each.

4. Silhouette Ornaments
     Every year I swear I am going to do a silhouette gift for one of the holidays, and this one will have to be it. I love every little piece of these, and they will go so perfectly with my mason jar gifts above! All I will have to do is glitter the band, then cover the lid with a cute holiday plaid fabric. Then, cute out each child's silhouette for the perfect finishing touch!
     There is NOTHING that I would change about this craft. I think it is just right the way it is.

5. Handprint Snowmen Ornament
     So simple and so sweet, right down to the cute little note. The first gift I ever received as a teacher was a simple ball like this with a plain white handprint on the bottom and the little boys name. That ornament is hanging on my festive little mismatched tree today, 5 years later. It may not be the most creative idea, but it is sweet and it is special. The fact that these are made into snowmen makes this even better!
     The only thing I would change here is the note. It has such an adorable little rhyme on it, but it is difficult to read. I would space it so that the rhyming words ended the line. Other than that, I love it.

6. Glitter Handprint Ornament
     I know we have all seen the glitter ornaments 100 times, but this one is a nice twist. So simple, but so perfect.
     The pinner of this idea claims this was done with swirl paint on the inside, and a glitter glue handprint on the outside. I find it hard to believe there is a glitter-glue that is this good. I personally would do a craft glue handprint, then sprinkle it with lots of glitter.

     That is all I have for today. Monday, I will begin working on the Handprint Santa Mason Jars and the Silhouette Ornaments. They go together so nicely, and I just can't choose between them. When I have finished them, I will post the final product to see how my version differs from the ones shown here!

I wish you all luck! Hope this helped a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment